Excursion to the Albufera and its lagoon declared Natural Park
The Albufera Natural Park is located at 11 kms, south of the city, and set between rice paddies and the sea, closed off by the geological embrace of the mouths of the Turia and Júcar rivers, the Albufera Natural is a paradise for migratory birds and a recreational area for the city and its surroundings municipalities.
Since 1990 the Albufera Nature Reserve has been included in the list of wetlands of international importance in virtue of the Ramsar agreement and since 1991 it has been included in the ZEPA Area (Zone of special Protection for Birds).
The Devesa forms part of the Albufera Nature Reserve. It is the best conserved area of the dune system. Although it is not large (10 km long by 1 km wide) a range of climate and edaphic factors combine in this area to support a diversity of flora, fauna and landscapes that give it an important, and internationally recognized, environmental value.
More than 400 different plant species have been identified in the Devesa.
There are five different environments:
- The beach
- The seaward dune system
- Dune slacks
- The inland dune system
- The banks of the Albufera
During this excursion we can do the following:
- Stop and the Lookout point of the lake located next to the first lock on the El Saler.
There are several itineraries to choose:
- Beach leisure itinerary
- El Saler history itinerary
- Landscape itinerary
- The five senses itinerary
- El Pujol canal history itinerary
- Botanical itinerary
Racó de L’Olla (this is an interpretation information area that can be visited)
- Informative Area (panels and audiovisuals about the Albufera).
- Interpretation Area (an itinerary in order to know directly the typical ecosystems of the area: its fauna and flora).
- Boat rides and possibility to have lunch in the island of el Palmar (this is a nice village closely connected with the fishing trade).
The different itineraries can be modified and adapted to the needs of the customers.